Fraunhofer Institut für Integrierte Schaltungen IIS
Master Thesis Student »Design of an Antenna Array for 5G Communication«
- Online seit 23.03.2021
For the »RF and SatCom Systems« department in Erlangen, the Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits IIS is currently seeking a
Master Thesis Student
for the topic »Design of an Antenna Array for 5G Communication«
One of the key innovation factors of fifth generation communication (“5G”) is the extension to millimeter wave (mm-waves) frequency region in order to meet the demand for exponentially increasing data rates. However, steerable high gain antennas are required to overcome the increased path loss at mm-waves and to ensure exact beam alignment between communication partners.
In this work a steerable antenna array for base station application has to be designed in order to enable possible illumination of one 90°-sector with an overlapping beam scheme. For the array elements excitation with variable phases and amplitudes dedicated chips are provided that need to be wired/ connected properly.
The scope of this work includes:
- Literature research in phased array design and mm-wave 5G communication
- Antenna element design for 26.5 -29.5 GHz
- Antenna array design and layout (including beam-steering scheme)
- Implementation and measurement of antenna array in anechoic chamber
The thesis can be written in English or German.
What you can expect from us
- An open and cooperative working environment
- State-of-the-art laboratory and technology equipment
- Versatile tasks with a high level of practical relevance
- Flexibility concerning your working hours
The thesis will be assigned and carried out in accordance with the rules of your university. For this reason, please discuss the thesis with a professor who can advise you over the course of the project.
Please apply for this position using the following link: https://recruiting.fraunhofer.de/Vacancies/58484/Description/2
Applications are possible in German and English. Please include a cover letter, your CV and your latest transcripts of records (as PDF) and quote ID number 58484-KS. Address your application to Nina Wörlein.
Please let us know how you learned about this job opportunity.
Additional information is available on our website: www.iis.fraunhofer.de/en
• You have a thorough understanding of Electrodynamics, RF and Antennas
• You have good data processing skills
• You are willing to work self-dependent
• You are experienced with industry-standard EMC-Tools (optional)
- Art der Beschäftigung
- Nach Vereinbarung
- Zeitraum der Beschäftigung
- Nach Vereinbarung
- Fraunhofer Institut für Integrierte Schaltungen IIS
- Am Wolfsmantel 33
- 91058 Erlangen, Deutschland
- Frau Nina Wörlein